Friends of Nigeria works with the National Peace Corps Association (NPCA) to advocate on behalf of future, current and returned Peace Corps Volunteers, including support of legislation that:
- Maintains or increases funding for the Peace Corps program
- Protects the health and safety of currently serving volunteers
- Honors and supports those who have completed their Peace Corps service
How can you get involved?
- Use NPCA's Action Center to send a message to your Congressional Representatives about pressing issues
- Learn more about the Peace Corps community's current advocacy initiatives
- Check out the NPCA Calendar for upcoming advocacy events
Friends of Nigeria frequently gets appeals for political action from the NPCA. Many of them we forward onto our list of FON volunteers who have expressed willingness to receive email alerts. Sometimes the appeals would apply only to specific geographic areas or representatives. In that case we try to narrow down the list of people we send the email to, so that we don't overwhelm you with emails. Most often there is a suggested response, but in all cases members are free to create their own expression of what they think should be the result of whatever political process is at hand. FON itself does not have an Advocacy Coordinator.